Sunday, May 6, 2012

Ready, Set, GO! ASTD International Conference 2012

As I sit in the LAX airport at some ungodly hour in the morning, I am filled with excitement and anticipation for the conference...some might even call me antsy (and I've refrained from my morning cappuccino)! For many, conferences like ASTD (American Society for Training and Development) are a way to get renergized. I always enjoy reconnecting with old friends, meeting new friends, and learning something new. I have the opportunity to hone my skills and increase my effectiveness. And, since I love to use Twitter, it's an opportunity to connect with my tweeps face-to-face! But, as energized as I start the conference, my energy can wane during the conference for several reasons. Not eating properly (a wine and cheese party is NOT dinner), not sleeping enough (I only see our friends from Sweden once a year, so who can blame me for staying out till 3 am), not sleeping well (my roommate snores!), and not exercising (at least I brought my gym clothes so I wouldn't feel guilty). Does this happen to you? From a conference veteran, I can tell you that the key for staying bright-eyed through the conference is moderation. Plan each of your meals to visit with different groups of friends--this will ensure that you will eat, and be able to maximize your "connection time". If your energy is depleted, go pick up a banana for a quick snack: the potassium will give you a boost. Stepping outside of the Convention Center for some sunshine and fresh air is another way to refresh yourself during a long day full of sessions. A quick 10-20 minute walk outside will give you a boost. Conferences are a great place to connect. If this is your first conference and you don't know anyone, sign up for "Meet to Eat" for dinner. This is a great way to meet others, and the restaurant choices are super. Step out of your comfort zone and walk up to someone you don't know who might be sitting alone during the Expo lunches and introduce yourself. If you're the shy type, an easy opener like "What sessions did you attend today?" or "What did you learn so far today?" can help you start a conversation. Don't forget to exchange business cards with people you meet this week. With all the new connections that I will make, I write a little note on the business card about what I talked to the person about; this helps me recall the conversation for follow-up when I get home. I also encourage you to get linked into the backchannel conversation (all the dialogue and learning on Twitter from the conference sessions). If you don't have a Twitter account, it is easy to set up in just a few minutes. You can search for the official conference hashtag (#ASTD2012) and read all the posts other conference attendees are making. Most importantly, make a commitment to take action from something you learn from the conference. There are so many big ideas and tools to try, focus on 1-3 that you will implement. Reflect on this (waiting at the airport for your flight will give you plenty of time to do so) and create a short action plan. POST IT somewhere that you are going to see it everyday; share your action plan with a colleague or friend to keep you accountable. Enjoy your time at the conference: networking, learning, growing.

No comments: